Thursday, November 18, 2010

Where to from here?

So as expected we've all been laid off from work since Friday. Bleh. I ended up going out on Saturday and went for pre-drinks with people I had meet on the internet. Turns out it was two guys in their final year of college and they're both doing 4-month internships here; and where are they working? Blue Castle Games of course. Bastards. I don't think it'll be much of an in for me since they hardly pull a lot of weight having only been in the company for a month or so and will be leaving in January but still, it's all about who you know.

Pre-drinks consisted of beer-pong (ain't played that in 3 years!) and then once everyone had gathered about 6 of us headed out to the Red Bull MEGAHRTZ event in Downtown. It was a really cool "underground" sort of venue, nothing fancy, just a floor, some rooms and pillars here and there. The night was hilarious fun and once it came to an end we all headed back to the house to crash. In the morning we went out for some Phở which is cheap, filling and quite delicious.

Then it was back to the house to think about what I'd be doing to get myself back into some work. Well the past few days I've just been looking for relevant stuff and have had minor success. There is a military simulation company that put up openings so I called into them and got chatting with a recruiter but they'll be a couple of weeks before they shortlist phone-interviewees. No call back from EA so I'm assuming that ship has sailed for now. Apart from that I've just been reading some books to keep myself somewhat sharp in the downtime.

I think I might start looking at things outside of Vancouver, even just to test the waters. If I get offered something then great and I can see if I want to make the move or not but I suppose there is no harm in sending out some feelers. Next week I'll get back into the anything and everything search and start going for the survival jobs.

There is yet another new house mate, this time in the form of a brand new puppy. So that's kept spirits up a little more also!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Cecilia said...

Hi AJ - tough week for you on the job front but glad the social side was good. Great news on the new house-mate - can't wait to see pictures! Hope the coming week brings some prospects. Have eaten the first of your Granny's puddings (sorry John!) so Christmas countdown officially started (it was yum!!.

18 November 2010 at 22:57  
Anonymous Old Man said...

Clearly not enough pollution going around...sorry the job ended. Keep up the search: you'll land the big fish soon!As for comments - Damn, too slow again.

18 November 2010 at 23:46  
Anonymous Seamus said...

Look we're doing our best to spill the oil! If those blue castle bastards are leaving the company in January does that mean a possible opening for you? Go for it whether it does or doesn't! Glad to see you're keeping positive even with loosing the job. And you're right - something good will happen. Keep plugging away. We talked today about recruitment agencies. Get into them and make them work for you! Cecilia's had the pudding??!!! She never mentioned that this morning! There''ll be words had. Pudding ... mmmm ... and ice cream .... That pic of you playing volleyball with the sun going down is fantastic. You've got a pup in your house?! Nice one! I'm sure mine would like to eat it! You're not missing much here ... Josh is being Josh and the Germans are about to give us bags and bags of money! We'll keep some for you!

20 November 2010 at 19:00  
Anonymous Cecilia said...

Now how did I forget to mention the pudding??!! We had it with custard Seamus and it was yummy. Late Late Toy Show next Friday, thought I'd mention! Hope Christmas comes early for you Andrew - Santa listen up! Take care.
p.s. what did pup make of cats? (or with them?)

20 November 2010 at 21:44  
Anonymous Old Man said...

I wonder was it year old pudding? Looking forward to next pics from Canada!

22 November 2010 at 21:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home